Psychology Can Help

Sometimes you need someone to talk to...

Who should I contact to report abuse of someone with a disability?

Abuse of children with a disability should be reported to Children and Youth or Child Line. Abuse of an adult with a disability could be reported to the agency most directly related to the disability, such as The Arc of Pennsylvania who advocates for people with a range of developmental disabilities. Abuse of an older adult could be reported to the Area Agency on Aging.

Use the blue pages in a paper phone book to identify human service agencies. On the internet, use any number of search engines to identify appropriate agencies who provides advocacy and protection.

Under the 2010 Adult Protective Services Law, a report can be made on behalf of an adult whether they live in their home or in a care facility such as a nursing home, group home, hospital, etc. Reporters may remain anonymous and have legal protection from retaliation, discrimination, and civil and criminal prosecution.

To report the need for protective services, call the 24-hour, statewide Protective Services Hotline at: 1-800-490-8505. The hotline is to be used for reports only. Questions may be directed to 717-736-7116.